CD Projekt Red (CDPR), the video game studio behind The Witcher and Cyberpunk, is laying off 100 employees, or about 9% of its staff. This is the latest in a series of layoffs in the gaming industry, which has been hit hard by the economic downturn.
In a blog post, CEO Adam Kiciński said that the layoffs were necessary to “meet our own high expectations and ambitions to create the best role-playing games.” He said that the studio had been overstaffed and that the layoffs would allow it to “build teams that are more agile and more effective.”
Kiciński also said that the layoffs were not a reflection of the quality of the studio’s work. “We have talented people on board who are finishing their tasks,” he said. “We are grateful for their hard work and dedication.”
The layoffs at CDPR come as the gaming industry is facing a number of challenges. The global economy is in a recession, and consumer spending is down. This has led to a decline in sales of video games.
In addition, the gaming industry is facing increasing competition from mobile games. Mobile games are more affordable than console and PC games, and they are more accessible to players. This has led to a decline in the market share of console and PC games.
The layoffs at CDPR are a sign of the challenges that the gaming industry is facing. It is unclear how the industry will weather the current economic storm. However, it is clear that the industry is going to have to make some changes in order to survive.
Other Recent Layoffs in the Gaming Industry
In addition to CDPR, other major gaming studios that have laid off employees in recent months include:
- Activision Blizzard: 370 employees
- EA: 300 employees
- Niantic: 8% of its workforce
These layoffs are a sign of the challenges that the gaming industry is facing. The industry is going to have to make some changes in order to survive.
CD Projekt Red is a Polish video game developer and publisher best known for its critically acclaimed The Witcher series. The company has also produced other popular games, such as Cyberpunk 2077 and Gwent: The Witcher Card Game.
Here is a list of some of the most popular games that CD Projekt Red has produced, along with their release dates and platforms:
- The Witcher series:
- The Witcher (2007) for Microsoft Windows, macOS, and Linux.
- The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (2011) for Microsoft Windows, macOS, and Xbox 360.
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (2015) for Microsoft Windows, macOS, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch.
- Cyberpunk 2077 (2020) for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Stadia.
- Gwent: The Witcher Card Game (2016) for Microsoft Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android.
- The Witcher: Monster Slayer (2020) for iOS and Android.
- Cyberpunk 2077: Expansion Pass (2021) for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Stadia.
- The Witcher: Blood Origin (2022) for Netflix.
The company’s games have been praised for their rich stories, immersive worlds, and innovative gameplay. CD Projekt Red is a leading force in the video game industry, and its games continue to be enjoyed by millions of players around the world.